Running a business with HGV or PCV vehicles

If your business uses heavy goods vehicles (HGVs), you’ll need a goods vehicle operator licence. You can find full details of the vehicles and trailers that you’ll need a vehicle operator licence for on GOV.UK.

If your business operates passenger-carrying vehicles (PCVs) for which passengers pay, you’ll need a public service vehicle (PSV) operator licence. See GOV.UK for a guide to public service vehicle operator licences.

You can manage your vehicle operator licence online using this tool on GOV.UK, which allows you to pay fees and make changes to your licence.

Running a local bus service

You can register to run a local bus service: this means using public service vehicles to carry passengers who pay separate fares over short distances.

The route can be any length, as long as passengers can get off within 15 miles (measured in a straight line) of where they got on. To find out about running a local bus service, visit GOV.UK.

Roadside vehicle checks

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) officers can stop commercial drivers to make roadside vehicle checks. These checks are designed to keep lorries, buses and coaches that are not roadworthy off the road. To find out more about roadside checks, see the guide on GOV.UK.

DVSA uses the operator compliance risk score (OCRS) to decide which vehicles to inspect. The higher the risk score, the more likely it is a vehicle will be inspected.

Find out more about the operator compliance risk score on GOV.UK.

Managing your commercial vehicle compliance

You can view the test histories and roadside check reports for your commercial vehicles online. You can also check your operator compliance risk score here. Go to GOV.UK to manage your commercial vehicle compliance.

Providing driving tests for your staff

Some organisations can provide driving tests to their staff by applying to appoint delegated examiners. Find out more about delegated examiners in the Becoming an HGV instructor section of this site.

Back to top