Taxis and minicabs

If you want to drive a minicab or run a private hire vehicle (PHV) company, you’ll need to get a PHV operator licence from your local authority. Each private hire driver and vehicle will need to be licensed too. See our advice on getting started as a taxi driver for more information.

See GOV.UK for more information about applying for a PHV operator licence outside London.

Keeping up to date

It’s important to keep your skills up to date. Traffic rules, regulations and signs change from time to time and you’ll need to know how these affect you.

You can find out about changes

You can also use these official DVSA resources.

Back to top