Your licence to teach

Make sure that you can legally teach people to ride.

The law

To deliver compulsory basic training (CBT), you must be on the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) CBT register. To deliver rider training under the direct access scheme, you must be on the direct access scheme register.

Find out about becoming a DVSA-assessed CBT motorbike instructor on GOV.UK.

Find out about becoming a direct access scheme motorbike instructor on GOV.UK.

Make sure that you have a full licence for the category for which you conduct training, and make sure you report any motoring or non-motoring cautions or convictions to DVSA – these may affect your licence to teach.

When you’re on the road

Take your DVSA certificate with you – this is a legal requirement.

Back to top