What you must legally do as a rider

What you must legally do as a rider

Before you can ride on the road, there are some things you must do and have in place first such as having a valid driving licence and a motorbike that’s taxed and registered with DVLA: Check what you must do to ride a motorbike legally on the road.

Your motorbike must have a number plate showing that it’s been registered with DVLA. Find out the rules about displaying number plates on your motorbike.

You can buy a personalised number: see this guide on GOV.UK.

You can only ride a quad bike on the road if it’s been approved, registered, taxed and MOT tested (if needed); most quad bikes can’t be ridden on the road because they don’t meet road safety standards. To find out more about the rules on quad bikes, see GOV.UK.

If you’ve been invited to take a national driver offender retraining course following a driving offence or disqualification, you can find a rider offender retraining course at GOV.UK.

Occasionally letters about vehicles get sent to a previous owner or just to the wrong person: find out what to do if you receive a letter about a vehicle you don’t own.

Some health conditions can make it unsafe for you to ride and you may need to give up your licence. Check which medical conditions you need to tell DVLA about.

If you’re not allowed to ride anymore, find out how to give up your driving licence for medical reasons.