Keeping your motorcycle details updated

Use these links to GOV.UK to keep details about your motorbike up to date. If you do not update them when necessary, you could be breaking the law. You can also use GOV.UK to check a vehicle’s details, such as its past MOT tests.

Vehicle registration

Number plates

Buying and selling a motorbike

There’s advice on GOV.UK about buying a second-hand vehicle, which you might find helpful to make sure a bike has not been stolen.

If you know the make of a vehicle and its registration number, you can use the DVLA vehicle online service to find out

  • when its current vehicle tax is due to expire
  • the date that a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN) expires
  • the date it was first registered
  • colour
  • engine size
  • year of manufacture
  • CO2 emissions
  • current vehicle tax rate.

Whenever a vehicle is bought or sold, the vehicle tax needs to be paid by the person receiving it before they drive it. The seller gets a refund for any tax they have paid for beyond the date ownership changed. For more information, see

If your motorbike is stolen

Follow this guide to report your motorbike stolen (GOV.UK) and claim a vehicle tax refund.

MOT test

The fee for the annual MOT test depends on the class of vehicle. See GOV.UK for a full list of MOT test fees.

You can also check a vehicle’s MOT test history and its current MOT test status on GOV.UK.

To get MOT test reminders sent to your mobile phone and email address, visit GOV.UK.

Vehicle identity checks

If a motorbike is written off by an insurance company, the insurer will tell DVLA so a ‘VIC marker’ (vehicle identity check marker) can be put on the vehicle record.

Find out more about the vehicle identity check at GOV.UK.

Back to top