Licensing and vehicle tests for HGVs

Heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) must be tested every year for roadworthiness – similar to the MOT test for cars.

Specialist tests

HGVs may need a specialist test if they’re going to carry explosives or dangerous goods in bulk, drive outside the EU, to qualify for a low or reduced emissions certificate or if you want to change the weight it’s allowed to carry. See the guide on GOV.UK about specialist tests for LGVs.

Speed limiters

Goods vehicles with a maximum laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes must have a speed limiter, which must be fitted by an approved centre. Repairs can only be carried out by an approved centre too. Find an approved speed limiter centre on GOV.UK.

Back to top