Theory test: booking and taking your test
This guide tells you what to do when you’re ready to take your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC) part 1 theory test.
Theory test costs for heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers:
Multiple choice £26
Hazard perception £11
GOV.UK top links for HGV theory test booking
Change your HGV theory test appointment
Support for reading difficulties, health conditions or disabilities
Find out what types of support are available
Book your test using the official links, if you use an unofficial site, you might pay more than you need to.
What happens on the day?
Before you start the multiple choice test, you can have a 15 minute practice session to get used to the format of the test.
Part 1a: Theory test multiple choice
You have 1 hour 55 minutes
- Answer 100 multiple choice questions from 15 topics
- Score at least 85 correct to pass
- Use a mouse to choose the correct answers on screen
- You can flag any questions you're not sure of and review later
Try: Free HGV practice theory test
Part 1b: Hazard perception
In this test you’ll be shown 19 video clips in which there are 20 developing hazards to spot overall.
- You have the option of a 3 minute break before you begin
- Put on the headphones and watch a short video, which shows you how the test works
- Click the mouse whenever you see a developing hazard
A developing hazard is something that would need you, the driver, to take some action, such as changing speed or direction.
- 19 clips (1 clip containing 2 developing hazards)
- 5 points (max) per developing hazard response
- 67 out of 100 to pass
Warning: If you click the mouse too much or if you click in a pattern, you’ll be given a warning message and you’ll score no points for that clip.
Try: Free practice hazard perception test
Getting your results
You’ll be given your results shortly after you’ve finished the test.
If you pass
You’ll get a letter with your pass certificate number (use this to book your Driver CPC part 3a and 3b driving tests).
Your certificate is valid for 2 years. If you do not pass your Driver CPC part 3 test in that time you’ll have to retake your HGV theory test.
If you do not pass
You’ll need to wait at least 3 working days before you can retake it. Use this time to do some more preparation.
Top GOV.UK links
Find a lost pass certificate number on GOV.UK