Qualifying as a motorcycle trainer

If you want to qualify as a motorbike instructor who can train riders to get their motorcycle licence, there are 2 ways to do this.

DVSA-assessed CBT instructor

Every approved training body (ATB) must have at least one DVSA-assessed compulsory basic training (CBT) instructor. To become a qualified CBT instructor, you’ll need to pass a 2-day assessment at the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) training centre in Cardington, Bedfordshire.

DVSA-assessed CBT instructors can down-train up to 10 other instructors within the same ATB.

See the guide to becoming a CBT instructor on GOV.UK.

Direct access scheme instructor

A direct access scheme instructor can train riders over the age of 24 to ride on a larger bike. They can also provide CBT courses and most can down-train other instructors.

To become a direct access scheme instructor, you’ll need to pass a half-day assessment at DVSA's training centre at Cardington.

See the guide to becoming a direct access scheme instructor on GOV.UK.

Back to top