Are you ready to become PCV trainer?

To instruct others in how to drive a bus or coach, you must be over 21 years of age and have held a full unrestricted driving licence for at least 3 years in the category in which you wish to instruct. You must also meet the stringent requirements for good health and vision that are required of anyone wishing to drive a large vehicle. 

There is an industry register for PCV (passenger carrying vehicle) instructors.  To get onto this register, you have to successfully complete an NVQ level 3 in Driving Instruction. Many drivers gain this vocational licence by becoming employees of one of the many companies operating service buses.

The industry register is administered by the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT), and they can provide information on various training establishments that offer PCV instructor training. For more information, visit the JAUPT website.

Alternatively, you could make enquiries yourself, either online or via the telephone directory, to find companies in your area who offer PCV instructor training courses.

Supervising minibus learners

If you want to supervise a minibus (category D1) learner driver, you must have a full licence for the same category of vehicle being driven by the learner. You must have had the licence for 3 years.

To find out more about supervising learners in a small lorry or a minibus, see GOV.UK.

Back to top