Your training vehicle

Most approved driving instructors (ADIs) rent or own a training vehicle. Some specialise in training those who need to use a modified vehicle – and they may only use their pupils’ vehicles. Whichever applies to you, make sure that the vehicle you use is fit for purpose.

This means doing all the normal checks to make sure your vehicle is legal and safe to drive, as well as whether it is suitable for teaching people to drive.

Is it suitable for driving tests?

Some vehicles are not suitable for driving tests because it is difficult for the examiner to get a good view from the passenger seat. For that reason, these vehicles would probably not be ideal as training vehicles! There is a list of vehicles not suitable for the driving test on GOV.UK along with other rules for cars used on test. There is also a list of vehicles that have been recalled by the manufacturer for known safety faults. If your vehicle is on this list it may need to be checked and, if necessary, fixed before it can be used on test.

What about insurance?

You’ll need insurance that covers driver training and, unless you specialise in post-test training, provisional licence holders. If your vehicle has dual controls, or any other modification, you will need to tell your insurance company so that your insurance is still valid. There are companies that specialise in cover for ADIs.

Do I need ‘L’ plates?

If you’re teaching learner drivers then, as a minimum, you need to fit ‘L’ plates (or ‘D’ plates in Wales) that are visible from in front of and behind the vehicle. You might want to use your car as an advertisement for your services – if you do, make sure that any signs are secure and do not affect your insurance.

Back to top