Before you can start driving on the road you’ll need a provisional licence.
How to apply for your provisional licence
- the quickest way to apply for your provisional licence is online at GOV.UK
- you can also apply using a D1 form, which you can get from any post office.
How much does a provisional licence cost?
A provisional licence costs £34.
What you'll need to apply
- a debit or credit card, proof of your identity (such as your passport) and your address details for the last three years
- you'll also need a passport style photo
- to be at least 15 years and 9 months old
- to be able to read a number plate from at least 20 metres away
- to have lived in the UK for at least 185 days in total in the past 12 months
When you can start driving
You can start driving a car when you’re 17.
You can drive a car when you are 16 if you get, or have applied for, the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).