Licensing and vehicle tests for PCVs

People-carrying vehicles (PCVs) must be tested every year for roadworthiness – similar to the MOT test for cars.

Specialist tests

Some vehicles also need a specialist test. Coaches and buses may need a specialist test to qualify for a lower tax rate or free entrance to the London Low Emission Zone, or to meet new safety belt rules. See the guide on GOV.UK about specialist tests for coaches and buses.

Speed limiters

Goods vehicles with a maximum laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes must have a speed limiter which must be fitted by an approved centre. Repairs can only be carried out by an approved centre too. Find an approved speed limiter centre on GOV.UK.

Back to top